Dr. Shalini Kapoor Kad
Aug. 2, 2011
A homoeopathic paediatrician, a counselling expert and a freelance writer are a few words to describe my profession. My sole aim is to put forth practical piece of information that guides every one right in the direction, blending the medicos to a layman with a simple gesture to make the medical things a little less convoluted and comprehendible.
Wrinkles indicate signs of ageing and although depending upon your skin type they may start coming in different age group, but by the time you go beyond the late thirties, the skin starts showing some of the symptoms like crow’s feet under the eyes, dark spots etc. This is so because as we grow old, the production of collagen by our skin cells declines. Collagen is a type of protein which is the prime content that gives suppleness and firmness to our skin. But just as we are living more and our life age is increasing due to medical advancements, similarly, there are some research oriented positive results that together have been found to be pretty useful in slowing down the signs of ageing. Let’s check out which are these ingredients that are the common part of all anti - ageing creams and make them work:
- Harsh sunlight causes the maximum damage to the collage secretion and its production can be increased by the use of antioxidants. Hence antioxidants like vitamin E are commonly used in such creams. Even green tea is a good anti ageing supplement.
- Hyaluronic acid is a content that moisturizes a wrinkling tissue thereby preventing it from drying and makes it plump, appearing younger
- Hydroxy acids are types of ex-foliants that remove dead skin and brings out the fresh new skin to the fore.
- Peptides are known for their collagen increasing ability and were initially introduced for healing wounds, but today are a regular part of any anti ageing kits and you can see them in the ingredient list by the name of pentapeptides or copper peptides.
- Retinol is the new package version of Retin-A which is a type of vitamin A compound and is known to stop the breakage of collagen and if used regularly can also induce new collagen production. But it should not be used by a pregnant woman.
The wonder Indian anti aging brands and creams
Apart from the regular chemical packed anti ageing creams of modern times, there are some Indian brands like Shahnaz Hussain, VLCC, Jain Herbals, and Puma Ayurvedic, Biotic etc. who have a vast range of anti ageing creams and facials that are solely based on ancient Indian holistic methods prescribed by Ayurveda, simply combining the modern theories with the natural ayurvedic ingredients to surface herbal products for the same. Shahnaz Hussain was the first brand that introduced the world with India’s ancient rich beauty therapies and today it offers various wide ranges in the anti ageing section too. Some of its famous products include Shasmooth (anti dark circle and for wrinkles below eyes), Diamond facials and masks, Gold facial creams, masks and scrubs.
VLCC too is a premier beauty and wellness brand in India which produces and promotes healthy skin and body products with its innumerable outlets located in India and abroad. Anti wrinkle night cream and anti wrinkle day cream are two important anti ageing products catered by VLCC. These creams enriched with the goodness of wheat germ oil, geranium oil, jojoba oil, gallnut extract, castor oil, carrot seed oil, grape seed oil, sunflower oil, pomegranate extract and vitamin E work the needful. Such nature based products are devoid of any side effects and give an inherent glow to the skin along with slowing down the process of ageing.