Dr. Shalini Kapoor Kad
June 15, 2011
A homoeopathic paediatrician, a counselling expert and a freelance writer are a few words to describe my profession. My sole aim is to put forth practical piece of information that guides every one right in the direction, blending the medicos to a layman with a simple gesture to make the medical things a little less convoluted and comprehendible.
Although every body organ has its importance, eyes are very precious because they acquaint us with the surroundings and give meaning to our life. Eyes are the reason why our life is full of colors and beauty. But eyes too are prone to problems, injuries and disorders and hence should be taken care of as much possible. Some simple tips carried at home can help you retain the strength of visibility for long. Let’s discuss some of the home care tips for eyes here:
- Never let your eyes to get dry. When you are young the sebaceous or oil glands in eyes gives moistness to them. But as you get old, this production decreases due to which eyes tend to become drier. Dry eyes hurt and are very painful. You can keep your eyes moist by washing them with plain cold water after every 3 to 4 hours.
- In summer season, heat tends to make your eyes red or irritate, especially after coming home from under the Sun. Use cold cotton compressions to take away the irritation and give your eyes break from the heat.
- Best precaution is always protecting your eyes while going out by wearing goggles. They not only stop ultraviolet rays from directly hurting your eyes, but block dust and other small particles reaching them.
- Researches have revealed that alcohol and nicotine are harmful for all types of nerves and the nerves of eyes being very sensitive, they get damaged first. So, the best thing is to stop or putting a strict restriction on such drugs and intoxications.
- Instead of cold drinks and tined juices, go for plain water and homemade freshly prepared fruit juices which are sans the preservatives and hence are very good for eyes. Fruits, especially their peels have flavanoids that are immensely good for eyes.
- Under eye dark circles are caused due to overstraining of eyes, lack of sleep and undernourished body. Keep potato circles on eyes for 10 to 15 minutes to relax your eyes. This also helps in relieving the under eye dark circles.
- If for some reason, your eyes are feeling weak, then including carrot in your daily diet can be very helpful. Rather you can make a glass of carrot juice mandatory in your home for anyone suffering from eye problem or weakness. Carrots contain Beta carotene which is replete with vitamin A, a good eye tonic.
- Rosewater compressions too are very helpful in reducing inflammation or redness of eyes. It takes away the pricking pain leaving eyes cool and glowing.
- Diet rich in fruits and nuts like almonds are a must for the health of eyes. In fact, almonds are considered the best food for eyes and if eaten regularly help to maintain the visibility of eyes for long.
- Eye exercises help relieve your eyes off tiredness. You can frequently perform them for couple of minutes in between your work so that the eyes keep on getting good blood supply.
- Apart from this always try to protect your eyes from damage by wearing goggles and keeping them away from chemical fumes, heated flames etc. so that their health is retained.