Dr. Shalini Kapoor Kad
April 27, 2011
A homoeopathic paediatrician, a counselling expert and a freelance writer are a few words to describe my profession. My sole aim is to put forth practical piece of information that guides every one right in the direction, blending the medicos to a layman with a simple gesture to make the medical things a little less convoluted and comprehendible.
Eating right is very important not only before and during the pregnancy but also after the delivery of the baby. Management of food items is important especially if you want your body to recover from the stress of the child birth. After giving birth to a child, the entire body of a woman suffers from a lot of emotional as well as physical fatigue. To overcome this fatigue and provide all the necessary strength to the new mother as well as her child, here are a few suggestions on the kind of food after delivery of the baby.
- Have lots of fresh fruits as well as fruit juices. Remember to stay away from artificial sweeteners or even adding sugar to your juices. Try to consume drinks with all the natural goodness in it.
- You can also have coconut water as it has a very high amount of nutritional value and is low in calories.
- Try to concentrate on the preparations of food after delivery that are nutritious and strengthening and require less preparation time. This will allow you to spend more time to rest and recuperate from the stress of delivering a baby and provide you some time to pay attention to the needs of the baby.
- Include strength providing food items such as legumes, fortified cereals in your diet.
- Including soups such as chicken or lentil soups will provide the body with good nutritional value.
- Have milk and other dairy based food after delivery to increase the intake of calcium in your diet. This is beneficial if you are breastfeeding your child.
- Do not consume foods which are tasty and are spicy or heavy on the stomach such as vegetables or meat casseroles.
- Consume a lot of water. This is because medico often advise intake of iron supplements to compensate for the loss of blood during delivery and thereafter. Iron supplement tend to promote constipation. This is especially useful if you have had a caesarean delivery.
- Also avoid the use of laxatives of any kind. Using laxative every other day can make you dependent on them. If you stop the use of laxatives then you may have problems with bowel movements later on.
- Anemic women should try to eat a lot of iron rich food after delivery. Also consume vitamin C supplements or fresh citrus fruits. Intake of vitamin C increases the rate of absorption of iron in the body.
Eating right kind of food after delivery is really important because breastfeeding a child will require you to have foods with more calorific value. Same is the case if you have had caesarean delivery. You need to have special food which are easy to digest and gives a lot of strength and nutrition to the body not only to you but also to the new born baby. Try to keep the food items or preparations as simple and non spicy as possible to avoid any trouble either to you or to your baby.